The passenger cars have been painstakingly restored by a staff of volunteer labor, City of Jasper employees, and generous local corporations and businesses that see their work as more a labor of love than a job.
The locomotive owned by the City of Jasper and obtained by the City in 2006 is a 1956 General Electric 80-ton diesel-electric powered switch engine. A switch engine is a small railroad locomotive intended not for moving trains over long distances but rather for assembling trains ready for a road locomotive to take over, disassembling a train that has been brought in, and generally moving railroad cars around. This process is usually known as switching in a rail yard. Switchers may also make short transfer runs and even be the only motive power on branch lines and switching and terminal railroads.
The EMD GP16 is a 1,600 horsepower 129 ton(258,000lb) diesel locomotive produced by General Motors Electro-Motive Division. The locomotive is owned and operated by the Indiana Railway Museum. The EMD GP16's were powered by a EMD 645 series diesel engine and were built between June 1979 and November 1982, with a total production of 155.
The ALCO S2 is a 1,000 horsepower (746 kW) switcher diesel locomotive produced by ALCO. The locomotive is owned and operated by the Dubois County Railroad, a for-profit subsidiary of the Indiana Railway Museum. The ALCO S2’s were powered by ALCO 539 turbocharged, 6 cylinder diesel engine and were built between April 1940 and June 1950, with a total of 1502 completed.
Club Car #200
This car was originally built for the Milwaukee Railroad in the 1940s and used as an overnight coach car. It was obtained by the City of Jasper in 2006. It was rebuilt as a passenger car with a club-seating configuration by local businesses and individuals in 2009. The car has a seating capacity of 46 passengers (40 in dining configuration).
Lounge Car #300
This car was built between 1917 & 1922 and was originally equipped with shelving and used as a “coffin car” to transport deceased World War I soldiers back to their home towns. It was obtained by the City of Jasper in 2006. It was renovated by local businesses and individuals in a dining car seating configuration in 2007. The lounge car has a seating capacity of 48 passengers (48 in dining configuration).
Parlour Car #400
The age of this specific car is unknown but is believed to have been built in the 1940’s. The City of Jasper obtained the car in 2006. Its original use was as a military hospital car. It was rebuilt by local businesses and individuals in 2008 and set up in a modern contemporary seating configuration with leather couches and LCD flat-screen televisions with a 19-foot long bar. The Parlour Car has a seating capacity of 26 passengers (0 in dining configuration).